The healing process of hair transplantation varies according to the physical characteristics of the person and the application method. Since hair transplantation is a long-term procedure applied depending on different procedures, it may take time for the patient to return to daily functions. Before having a hair transplant, let’s examine detailed and comprehensive information about how the process progresses.
Steps Before Hair Transplantation
The patient who comes to a professional clinic to have a hair transplant is first subjected to certain analyzes and tests. Hair loss progresses differently in men and women. However, some women may also experience male pattern hair loss. Regardless of the severity and extent of the loss, it is first investigated whether the loss is permanent or temporary. The patient is informed about what to do and what to avoid during the hair transplantation recovery process.
It is decided which procedure will be applied to the patient for hair transplantation. It is checked whether the amount from the donor site meets the required ratio. If the amount of hair follicles to be taken from the nape of the neck is insufficient, an analysis is made on the amount of hair follicles to be taken from the patient’s crown, chest, arms and beard. Finally, the patient is informed about the hair transplant healing process and when the patient will return to his/her daily routine.
Hair Transplant Techniques
Hair transplantation techniques are performed in 2 different ways in terms of method and application method. The patient’s hair loss type determines which technique will be applied to the patient. After all the necessary examinations and tests are performed, the specialist doctor and his team make a final decision on which technique to use. The healing process of hair transplantation may take longer or shorter depending on the method used. The techniques applied for hair transplantation are listed as follows:
FUE Hair Transplant Technique
The FUE technique is applied to patients who have been suffering from hair loss for a long time and have reached very advanced levels. First of all, the hair follicles taken from the nape of the neck are placed one by one in the channels opened on the scalp. Patients undergoing the FUE technique have their hair completely shaved. In this technique, approximately 3000-6000 hair follicles can be transplanted to the patient. It takes 2-3 hours for the hair follicles to be completely placed in the channels. The healing process of the patient who undergoes this technique may differ according to the physical structure of the patient.
DHI Hair Transplant Technique
DHI hair transplantation method is the most preferred hair transplantation method of recent times. The reason for this is that only the transplanted area is shaved and there is no need for a canal. In this method, the healing process of hair transplantation is shorter and the patient can quickly return to his routine life. Approximately 2000 to 3500 hair follicles are collected from the nape of the neck. In addition, since a special pen is used in this technique, hair transplantation can be performed more easily than the FUE technique. Since local anesthesia is applied in both FUE and DHI techniques, the patient does not feel any pain.
How Does the Recovery Process Proceed After Hair Transplantation?
The healing process of hair transplantation is one of the issues that patients who have undergone hair transplantation and those who are considering hair transplantation are often curious about. The healing process after hair transplantation proceeds as follows:
- Since hair transplantation is performed by collecting hair grafts, there is no scarring.
- In the first 1 week after the hair transplantation, hot water and hot water vapor should never touch the hair transplantation area. This may cause problems for the patient regarding the hair transplant healing process.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight. Sunlight may delay the healing of wounds as the scalp will become red.
- You will gradually start to feel itching for 2 weeks after hair transplantation. However, it should never be scratched.
- If you are employed, it is not recommended to return to work immediately. It will be appropriate to take a report for at least 7-10 days and rest at home.
- The healing process of hair transplantation is longer in the FUE technique and shorter in the DHI technique.
- In the first days after hair transplantation, the hair should not come into contact with water. It can then be washed with the recommended shampoo.
- Hair growth may not be even at first. However, in a period of 8-10 months, the hair completely grows and completes the growth phase.